Enrich your Board’s Governance
There is a paradox for many not-for-profit organizations: they serve diverse clients with an ethos that embraces pluralism, but diversity is not always reflected in their governance bodies.
With Diversity in Leadership Ottawa’s program, organizations like yours can address skill gaps in your Board make-up and increase diversity, ensuring you are effective in truly representing the population you serve.
We help you find the best match!
We currently have over 300 candidates from a wide range of backgrounds and a variety of professions, all keen to serve on a not-for-profit board.
- Lawyers, accountants, doctors, educators, police officers, researchers, advocates, entrepreneurs.
- Professionals in finance, HR, communications, employment, IT, marketing, and event planning.
- Students that bring fresh knowledge of the latest developments in their field and retirees with decades of personal experience.
Post your Board vacancies through our convenient web portal and let us connect you with qualified candidates that share your vision for our community.
Eligible candidates identify as:
- First Nations, Métis, Inuit, Indigenous Peoples
- visible minorities/racialized persons
- new Canadians
- LGBTQI2+ persons
- persons with disabilities
The value of diversity in your Boardroom
- More robust and effective decision-making
- Provides a wide range of perspectives
- Promotes innovation
- Better reflect and respond to the community you serve
- Opens new avenues of fundraising and donor networks
What we offer:
- Presentations on the DLO program and benefits of diverse boards
- Screening of candidates to match needed skill sets and background
- Governance training by experts in the field for qualifying candidates
- Facilitated applications from qualified and trained candidates
- Follow-up with candidates after Board placement
NOTE: VO Members must log out of the VO member portal in order to access the DLO member portal
What Ottawa’s not-for-profits are saying about Diversity in Leadership Ottawa:
“If you are looking for new pre-qualified Board members for your charity, then look no further. Working with DLO has been an absolute delight. Oumy was quick to comprehend what we were looking for and provide us with a number of pre-qualified candidates. The result of this collaboration has not only saved us valuable time and energy in our recruiting cycle but provided us with high quality Board members.”
Bo Turpin, Director, Upstream Ottawa Mental Health Community Support
“Finding board candidates with the right skills and time in their schedule is never an easy task, and when you’re a smaller charity looking to expand the diversity of its leadership, it is even more challenging. We were pleased at the candidates presented by DLO and were happy to bring one of them on board. After several months, it is clear our choice was a good one and the candidate has been able to contribute immediately in her new role."
Clair Toplis, Board Chair, iSisters Technology Mentoring
“DLO helped Families Canada recruit two outstanding board members. We believe that diversity and inclusivity is essential to meet our community’s needs and produce positive outcomes. Without the support provided by DLO it would have been very challenging for us to enrich our board with highly qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds.”
Karen Burpee, Chairperson, Families Canada
“We worked with DLO to help us find a suitable candidate with professional expertise in HR and leadership. The process was simple and reduced the burden for our small organization. We have been so fortunate to recruit a skilled, reliable and professional individual with international expertise and passion for supporting refugees and women. It was such a positive match and experience that we are now using DLO to try to fill another upcoming board vacancy.”
Sophia Lowe, Board Member, Carty House
"We have a very diverse membership, and it's important to our Board to reflect that diversity at all levels of the organization. We were thrilled that the Diversity in Leadership Ottawa program was able to help us find two candidates who have the skills, expertise and passion we need, while also helping ensure the Board is more representative of the community we serve."
Shelley Robinson, Executive Director, National Capital FreeNet